Custodian of the Tiara of Traffic

Custodian of the Tiara of Traffic
Wearing a heavy coat indoors? It's Cleveland, folks. Of course we do!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

We Get a Million of Them

The most interesting callers ring us up between 7:30 and 8.

A Maple Heights High School student called and asked if I'd announce his upcoming birthday party on the air.

This young man has a future -- he knows the value of free publicity. But, like nearly every radio listener, he thinks he knows the best way to use radio without understanding the pitfalls.

I gently told him the station doesn't do this kind of announcement. Then I delivered my "responsible radio professional" message.

"Are you nuts wanting to announce this on the radio?" I asked "Do you know how many nut cases might be listening?"

His grin was audible. "I'm serious," I said. "You never who is listening." He said he'd publicized a prior birthday that way and all kinds of people showed up. He did not share details.

I asked how long he'd listened to WCLV -- a few years, he said. When I asked if he played an instrument, he said he sang and performed rap.

Rap, to me, is related to chant. I wish someone would take the Gregorian Chants and perform them as rap numbers. He liked the idea. I hope he calls back with an example.

No comments:

Post a Comment