Custodian of the Tiara of Traffic

Custodian of the Tiara of Traffic
Wearing a heavy coat indoors? It's Cleveland, folks. Of course we do!

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My WCLV 50th Anniversary Radio Diary

As WCLV and its listeners remember 50 years of broadcasting in Cleveland, culminating in our official November 1st anniversary, here's a memory from my Radio Diary. Morning drive announcers live life 4 hours earlier than the audience does. For example, if most people get up at 6:30, the morning announcer gets up 4 hours earlier. This differential also means that you hit the sack 4 hours earlier than your audience does. For anyone who works other than the day shift, you know how disorienting it can be. The rest of the world is 9-to-5, and when Clevelanders are getting ready to go out to dinner and take in a show at Playhouse Square, morning announcers have just arrived in the boudoir for a cheap date with the Sandman. It takes two years to get used to this schedule. Until then, you live in a state of jet lag every day of the week. A few months after I started as WCLV's morning drive announcer, profound fatigue caught up with me one afternoon at home when I'd fallen into a deep sleep. I woke suddenly, and after a few fog-filled seconds, I realized I was talking to a woman on my bedside phone. I had no idea why. I didn't recognize her voice. I was too embarrassed to ask the woman why we were talking. She seemed rather amused. Hastily, I said, "Well, I'd better get going," and rang off. This had to have been an incoming call. I vaguely remembered hearing the phone ring and answering it. I doubt I would have called someone in my sleep. "Sleep-dialing?" Moi? Although I was certain the caller was a telemarketer, nothing ever was charged to a credit card, and nothing was shipped to me, so I think I got off rather lucky.

3 comments:

  1. I wrote this entry with paragraphing, but somehow the finished entry doesn't reflect it. Sorry it didn't take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious! I was LOL-ing at this post, and had to share the humor with my office-mates. My father worked a swing shift, so I kind of know how crazy the hours can be. Do you adjust when you're on vacation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It depends on the length of the vacation. A week off - no, you don't get enough time to make a comfortable adjustment. Two weeks - that's better.

    ReplyDelete