Custodian of the Tiara of Traffic

Custodian of the Tiara of Traffic
Wearing a heavy coat indoors? It's Cleveland, folks. Of course we do!

Monday, July 19, 2010

Sagacity



From the WCLV garden: Sage, Queen Anne's Lace and pineapple mint created a fragrant bouquet for the WCLV table at last night's Cleveland Orchestra concert at the Blossom Music Center.

I started the garden in 2003, when I turned shovelful after painful shovelful of earth in the yard behind WCLV, creating a bed for tomatoes, herbs and flowers. An experiment with peppermint has resulted in thick beds of mint. Now and then I throw a little down our disposal, which makes the drain smell like toothpaste. The mint is a real plus when I'm in the mood to make tabboule.

Why painful? The rock-to-soil ratio is very high. As one of my former colleagues used to say, "It's like gardening on Alcatraz."

No comments:

Post a Comment